I remember borderline quivering in my FSEM advisor’s office, not knowing what I wanted to do with my time at Colgate. I was uncertain about what I wanted to major in, what clubs I wanted to join or if I had even picked the right school for me. As he asked me about any extracurriculars I was looking to get involved in, I blurted out “I want to join the newspaper.” I wasn’t sure why I said this or if it was even something I wanted to do. But my FSEM professor was ecstatic about it. His face lit up and he told me that several of his previous FSEM students worked on the Maroon-News, and that he would put me in contact with them. Not knowing the very casual nature of our paper at the time, I showed up to meet the editor of the Arts & Features section in full interview mode. I look back now and realize how comically over-the-top that was. Needless to say, I became a writer and am now on senior staff. Some of my most memorable stories were hummus-making with the Israel Club and getting to interview Terry George, the director of “Hotel Rwanda.” The Maroon- News has become such an important part of my Colgate experience and has forced me to interact with places and people at Colgate that I may not have otherwise. I strongly encourage anyone, even if you are a senior, to submit an article or join the staff of such a fun and inclusive club.

By Reyna LaRiccia, Managing Editor

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.