Colgate has pushed me past my comfort zone more times than I can count. As an incoming college student, I had never conversed in a language other than English. Determined to change that, I entered into a six-month-long language intensive program in Germany, studying Economics and German Culture. In the months leading up to my departure, discomfort overwhelmed me.

On my first day of class in Germany, I learned that I was the only non-native speaker in the 11-person class. I felt ashamed when the professor called on me and I could not articulate what I wanted to describe. My brain felt blank; both my German and English failed me. After class, I wanted to shrink into the shadows and manage my way home. However, taking a breath, I went to introduce myself to my professor.

My professor grinned in a supportive manner as I struggled through my first sentences in German. She sat down with me, eyes wide with interest, and listened to me tell my story as well as I could. After that initial meeting, my professor be- came my mentor. She set aside weekly time that she affectionately referred to as “Gaby Time,” where she would go through the lectures a second time, allowing the German a chance to absorb. Her generosity and patience astounded me—finding someone who believed in me and supported my desire to learn gave me more confidence than I could imagine.

As a senior looking back on my Colgate experience, I recognize that going abroad offered me a better understanding of growth as a flexible and personal process, proving to me the importance of challenging myself and becoming more mindful and accepting of the differing experiences of those around me. While I understand going abroad is not feasible for everyone, I wholeheartedly recommend that students, both on campus and off, embrace difficult and stimulating experiences in whatever form they might look like for you.

By Gaby Bianchi, Multimedia Manager

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.