Being a first-generation student of color at Colgate is difficult. I remember once thinking that I’d look back at my college experience as the best years of my life. I will always be grateful for Colgate’s commitment to meeting 100 percent of demonstrated financial need. Without it, I wouldn’t be able to call myself a graduating member of the class of 2019. Still, I really hope that my time at Colgate doesn’t turn out to be the best four years of my life. Don’t get me wrong—I have had fun, formed wonderful friendships, laughed until I cried and eaten so much free food. These memories don’t come anywhere near to making up the majority of my Colgate experience, though, and it simply wouldn’t be fair for them to become defining moments.

For me, being a student at Colgate has been seeing a human chain form around WMST in response to the sexual climate on this campus, constantly explaining that Latinx is not a race, being drawn into the unhealthy culture of binge drinking, overhearing a student say that it smelled like Kool-Aid as a Black family walked past them, feeling dread every time I was asked where I’m from, spending hours on lockdown when implicit racial bias resulted in the glue gun incident, being treated as the voice for all people of color in class and standing in rooms full of people but feeling completely alone. Colgate, in the words of Ariana Grande, “thank u, next.”

By Jazmin Pavon, Senior Photo Editor

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.